Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Books galore!

Although I certainly don't NEED any more books (I tend to grumble about owning too many, in fact, every time I have to move!), because I'm such a bookworm, I ask for and tend to get lots of them around Christmas. This year, this has been exacerbated by the fact that I've come across a couple good titles that I wasn't previously aware of and simply had to buy myself!

Let's start with what I've received so far:

BB: Brigitte Bardot:



A fantastic Italian-produced collection of photos, stills, and posters featuring the Divine BB, some of them never previously released.

The Story of the Supremes:



Light on text, but chock full of color and black and white photos of the Supremes in their heyday. From the current Victoria and Albert Museum exhibition.

Mika Ninagawa's Acid Bloom:



Mika Ninagawa is one of my favorite photographers. Her photos of flowers, fish, people, and all manner of things are always saturated with vivid colors.

And a few that I bought for myself!

Swinging 60s Fashion Style:



This is a Japanese-produced catalog of 1960s fashion photography. It seems to be the counterpart to the previously released (and now out of print, it seems) Early 60s Fashion Style and Late 60s Fashion Style, which I managed to miss when they were available. When I read about this edition, I scoured the internet trying to find a vendor who had it in stock and wasn't charging an arm and a leg. No easy task! Finally, I found it online at Blackwell in the UK for an extremely reasonable cost and shipping charge (both Amazon Japan and Amazon Germany had it in stock as well, but the cost was outrageous)! I can't wait to have it in hand!

Finally, I managed to catch this one, which had been unavailable for quite some time until Amazon magically got a few copies briefly back in stock:

All American Ads of the 60s:



One of the many, many reasons that the Taschen publishing house is brilliant. This is a nearly 1000-page book filled with, well, ads from the 1960s. They always do a great job of putting out very affordable (and often gigantic!) compendiums of photographs/reproductions on just about any subject you can imagine.

I'll have to come back to this entry the next time I move and I'm moaning and groaning about how many books I have to lug around. It's been worth every haul!

No comments: